Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.
When it comes to the practice of law, there are many facets of law that are available to us. From commercial lawyers to criminal and corporate lawyers, this list will give you the other types. When it comes to one specific type, i.e. the family lawyers, in particular, there are a number of things they can help people with, we look at a few of these below.
A Brief Introduction to Family Law and Its Sub-categories in the USA
This type of law practice is also known as “matrimonial law” and is an area of law that concerns domestic relations and legal issues to do with families and family members. It includes civil, martial, and domestic partnerships and also the termination of these. It includes aspects including, and sometimes not limited to:
- Child custody, support and visitation rights
- Divorce and annulment
- Property and financial settlements
- Ancillary relief
There are other sub-categories of family law, which have to do with:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Domestic violence
- Childcare and protection
- Juvenile law
Depending on the family law attorneys you choose, some may offer all of the above or they may be specialists at one or two of them.
When dealing with a family lawyer, they will act as the mediators between family members, and help to handle legal issues pertaining to anything from domestic violence to guardianship or adoption. They work with both children and adults, as well as the elderly.
What Family Attorneys Can Help You With
These legal professionals will help you in several ways, some of which are mentioned below:
- Try and help to resolve complicated problems and claims, and push to reach a settlement through dispute resolution. According to the American Bar Association, the process of dispute resolution is not one, but many alternatives to having to go to court: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/dispute_resolution/resources/DisputeResolutionProcesses/
- In the case where a settlement cannot be reached, they will proceed to take the case to court. They will represent you as their client and carry out their legal duties to help come up with a resolution in front of a judge. Sometimes litigation lawyers are best suited for this.
- If the case is taken to the court, they will be responsible for handling everything from start to finish including reviewing, negotiating and drafting all the relevant paperwork, including you as a witness statement.
- In some cases, if the need arises, they will discuss things with other professionals such as social workers, psychologists, doctors and officers of the law.
- All the research will be done by them not only through you but also for similar cases that have taken place. They will find the evidence to support the claims from both parties.
- They also help you to deal with any unpredictable or emotional situations and are experienced in being empathetic and understanding when handling things.
They Can Handle Divorce Issues
When you are going through a divorce, it can be an upsetting and uncomfortable time for everyone involved. It can be a draining experience that without the right help can wear you down. Many couples let their emotions get the better of them and find it hard to settle disputes calmly. In cases such as these, a family lawyer can act as an important mediator and settle things calmly and legally. They will help handle matters fairly, especially if the case goes to court.
They Help to Handle Child Custody Agreements
Often when couples separate, and have children in the picture, the attorney can handle what happens to them once the parents no longer live together. Couples will need to come up with an agreement and family law attorneys West Chester can help deal with the intricacies of the change as well as document a well-defined agreement in which it is agreed by both parents where the child will reside. If an agreement is already in place, the legal professionals can also help amend any changes to the paperwork.
They Can handle Wills and Handling Estates Disputes
A will, which is a legally binding document drawn up by lawyers of the deceased needs to be accurately handled by the right person, which is a family lawyer or attorney. They help to draft these documents and also ensure that the estate is equally divided according to the person who has died.
Other things legal professionals such as these can help with include, representing litigants in court, and handling prenuptial agreements amongst other things. It is imperative to involve a family lawyer in any of the above and other cases that involve family matters to ensure the best outcome is achieved and everything sorted according to plan. Disputes are often overtaken by emotions and putting that aside is important when trying to reach a solution that benefits everyone involved so things don’t get messy in the end.